Men can also suffer from a condition similar to menopause but known as andropause.
Andropause occurs in older men when their bodies fail to produce the levels of testosterone they once did when younger. However, younger men as well can suffer from low testosterone levels which can have a quite a negative impact on their health and well-being.
Low testosterone symptoms in men can include:
- feeling tired of depression and/or anxiety
- inability to achieve or maintain an erection (aka erectile dysfunction)
- loss of muscle mass with an increase in body fat percentage
- gynecomastia (the formation of male breasts)
- decreased sex drive and stamina
Studies show that hormone replacement can decrease the risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, and will significantly decrease your risk for Alzheimer’s disease.
It also has been shown to decrease the progression of aging, with patients experiencing greater skin elasticity and fewer wrinkles as well as maintenance of lean muscle mass. In men, testosterone replacement has been shown to significantly reduce deaths from all causes and it has been shown to be protective against heart attacks.